Photographing your loves ones can be one of the most rewarding experiences as a parent. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.
• Are your subjects doing something they love? If you’re shooting them “happy” – be it playing in the park, or listening to a bedtime story, you’ll get the best results.
• Be creative. Photograph your subject from a variety of angles & distances.
• Consider location. When choosing a location, be sure to assess the background.
• Understand your equipment. Read your manual so that you can achieve your technical and artistic goals.
• Available light. Find the direction of your light source and place your subject accordingly.
• Fill Flash. Use your flash to fill in shadows around the eyes and the rest of the face even on a sunny day.
• Timing is everything. Be patient and wait for the right moment to press the shutter – even if that moment comes on a different day.
• Have another adult on the scene. It’s tough trying to be a successful mom and photographer at the same time!
• Back up your work to an external hard drive.
Sign up for my Photographing Family class starting at the 92y next week for more instruction and discussion of how to capture special moments that you will cherish for a lifetime.
Contact Karen Haberberg Photography for to set up a portrait session of your own family so you can be in the photos as well!