Photographing children can be challenging and when they are your own , it can be even more difficult. Here are some tips to keep in mind when photographing your family.
• Are your subjects doing something they love? If you’re shooting them “happy” – be it playing in the park, or listening to a bedtime story, you’ll get the best results. Ask them to sing there favorite song, dress up, run through an open field, etc.
• Be creative. Photograph your subject from a variety of angles & distances.
• Consider location. When choosing a location, be sure to assess the background.
• Understand your equipment. Ready your manual so that you can achieve your technical
and artistic goals.
• Available light. Find the direction of your light source and place your subject accordingly.
• Fill Flash. Use your flash to fill in shadows around the eyes and the rest of the face even on
a sunny day.
• Timing is everything. Be patient and wait for the right moment to press the shutter – even
if that moment comes on a different day.
• Have another adult on the scene. It’s tough trying to be a successful mom and
photographer at the same time!
• Bribery can be a very successful way to get your kids to smile in your photographs. Ice Cream cones, lollipops can make for some delightful images.
• Document the firsts… first baths, first birthdays, first bike rides, sledding and more.